From St. Louis, MO, I am a mother, educator, poet, child advocate, photographer, world traveler, and linguist.
Forever a student, often a teacher, I live each day to make a difference. Children, my own and those who are temporarily mine, inspire me. Literature enlightens me. Photography and writing express me. And HIS love sustains me.
As a Mother:
As a Teacher:
I pledge to welcome each child into my classroom and to not shy away from what I don’t understand. I promise to continue learning and growing as a teacher and an individual and will admit when I do not know the answer. I will embrace the diversity that each of us represents in the classroom and encourage others to value diversity. I will create a safe and nurturing environment for my students, taking action immediately when that safety is at risk. I will form alliances with parents, counselors, administrators, and other staff to ensure that my students succeed. I will show my students how reading and writing are relevant and connected top the lives they live every day. I will encourage curiosity by encouraging questions and inquiry. I will provide opportunities to build upon prior knowledge and will teach to strengths. I will empower students to choose and to navigate through the curriculum their own way. I will be available. I will care.
- Each child deserves to be valued and respected
- Opportunities for success should be purposely provided for all learners
- The classroom should be a safe place for all children
- Positive relationships between teachers and students contribute to student achievement
- Partnerships between parents and teachers contribute to student achievement
- Every child can learn and grow
- Teachers should be facilitators of learning
- Literacy changes lives
As a Christian:
(the role that humbles me most)
- Jesus paid the price for our sin
- Anyone can be saved
- The Holy Spirit is for every one